Sunday, January 24, 2016

Self Image

             Today I want to tell you how to get out of your comfort zone. How do you feel when you look at yourself naked? Are you quick to judge? Quick to complain? Say you would love yourself if you were skinnier. More muscular. More fit. Why? Why does your happiness depend so much on your appearance? Because that's what society has told us. Technology is a wonderful thing, but it is so easy to be mistreated. Social media posts a million different ways on how to get skinny. Take this pill, eat this man made diet, buy this machine. Now I'm not saying it is all bad, a healthy diet and exercise plan is very important, but so is the reason behind it. Get the idea out of your head that you will be "happy" once you reach your goal weight. Happiness should not depend on a number on the scale.
           I know that this is all easier said than done. I know this because I have been that person. I'm overweight. I have been, I feel like, my whole life. I was a chunky kid that never lost the "baby fat." I tried different diets and weight loss pills. I tried exercising for hours on end. I have wasted so much time crying over how I looked. I'm 21 folks. I want you to imagine your little girl sobbing because she isn't beautiful because she doesn't weigh what she wants to. This is a very real thing that people (girls especially) are experiencing younger and younger with each generation. This also goes for girls who are underweight, who also cry because people call her names as well. Body image is a huge problem in society. This problem can be changed starting with you.
         Your children hear and see everything you do. They hear you complain about your weight, they see your distraught faces when you step on the scale, they listen to your diet conversations. And then they reflect on themselves. This goes for men as well. Your children look up to you, you are their idols, and when they see that you are not happy with yourself, they are not happy with themselves.
          Day 5 of my 30 day yoga challenge was "naked yoga". If you have never tried this I highly recommend it. You are so open and vulnerable to the universe that you feel a connection that you (I at least do) never feel anywhere else. I still struggle with body image. Not nearly as much as I used to, but like I said in my previous post, I let the words of others get to me and it destroyed the confidence I took so long to build. I never hate my body as much as when I do naked yoga, but I also never love it more than after I'm through. I know this may sound strange but hear me out. Yoga has so many bends, twists, and other movements then when my body does them I see all the rolls, the squish, and the jiggles. However, I also see the strong muscles flex, move, and tighten. When I am done with yoga and I sit there in meditation I give thanks. I appreciate my body. Today my legs were higher in three legged dog, and my bottom leg was stronger. My hips are opening up more and are starting to stretch and loosen up from all the tension I carry there. My core was stronger and my abs were flexing so that I could hold a lot of the poses longer than the last time I practiced. I see the progress. Each time allows me to learn to love and accept my body as it is.
        You are beautiful. Your body is beautiful because it carries a beautiful soul. Love yourself now and make changes to your body after (if needed.) Every time you see yourself naked, I want you to give yourself a compliment, whether you struggle with body image or not. This message we tell our brain has an impact on our self image. This compliment should not be "fake" in the sense that you look good only now that you've lost weight, or you will look good once you meet your goal. No. Now. Don't cave into what society says. If you've lost weight in a healthy way, great! But again, you cannot have your happiness depend on that. Happiness and self love come from inside.
         Loving ourselves as a whole helps us to love the outer appearance that we have. I may not be everyone's cup of tea and that is fine. I don't need to be attractive to everyone because that isn't what matters. I'm awesome! I'm fun to be around, I make people laugh, I'm a wonderful friend, and I have a good heart. I love myself and that IS what matters. I do yoga because it makes me feel good. I do yoga because it is when I feel like I am myself. Not because I need to lose weight or change my body.  I'm not perfect. I still have to work on building self love and confidence every single day, but I am making progress! Find your inner self. Who are you really? Accept your inner self, love your inner self, and you will learn to love everything about you, including what's on the outside.

            Until next time,

                                    Namaste.

1 comment: